Me and 100 Greatest Indian Pop Songs

So after a particularly melancholic day at the office, I was expecting more gloom thanks to the traffic on the way back home. And I was right. The growling vehicles and the incessant honking was driving me off the edge. To drown out the noise, I turned on some music.

Having shuffled through some unknown songs, I decided to go for the ultimate playlist – “100 Greatest Indian Pop Songs”. I pressed play and hoped it would lift my spirits. Didn’t see the play list, wanted to be surprised. Yeah that’s me.

“Dekhi hai sari duniya, Japan se leke Russia….” What a start! All I could think of was The Milind Soman. When the song released, I wasn't old enough to understand the buzz, but in a few years I did, and I still do. Some things (and people) do age like fine wine.

As I was getting over Milind carrying away Alisha in his arms, I heard the namesake euphoric “Kaise bhulegi mera naam”….This song made me happy.. from within. I remembered in a live concert after signing and dancing non-stop for two hours, Palash admitted that he was ill. The entire audience sang Maeri entirely as a token of gratitude for him... me singing (screaming) "ab kya karu kase kahu ee maeri" with my best friend, who was screaming as well.

I wanted to replay the song, but I was late. It amazed me that I still got goosebumps when I heard the next song "Ho gayi hai mohabbat tumse”! The song reminds me of how wishful I felt about love when I was a teen. Ah pehla pyar!

Firmly down the memory lane now, I waited for the next song. Indeed, it lived up to my expectations. The song has my all-time favorite lines “wade kiye the apna hoga ashiyaan, waado ka jane hoga kya” sung beautifully by Shan. So profound yet popular.

By now I was almost home. There was time for only one more song. And then I heard the silken voice “hum rahe ya na rahe kal” and I was literally transported back to my college farewell. Friends, arms in arms, signing this song, (un)knowing how much life is going to change. While this made me smile I was reminded that KK is not among us anymore. Surprisingly it felt like a personal loss.

I eventually made it home, drenched in nostalgia with a twinge of sadness. And my mood, well I am carrying the melancholy to the next day… Are these the best songs ever created? Maybe no. Will I go for the playlist again? Hell yes…Always

Comments

Popular Posts