Here's to the ones who dream

So when I watched La La Land for the first time.... I was mesmerized, happy, sad but most of all I was frustrated 

Then I watched it again.... with a convenient reason to experience such a beautiful movie on the big screen, while actually secretly hoping to find a reason for my frustration.

Second time, I was even more mesmerized, extremely happy, terribly sad.... and FRUSTRATED. What was I hoping for? A happy ending this time? An idea I have myself never believed in. I think I outgrew the concept of happily ever after by the time I was 5. And growing up simply reinforced the idea that no relationship lasts forever. A happy ending is a myth. And I invariably found myself staying away from the fairy tale endings

Till La La Land happened. Yes, movies and books happen to me. They are a way of living. In times of stress, I find myself turning to them for help rather than talking to people. And they never fail

So coming back to La La Land, I was surprised to find myself shedding a tear (actually many) throughout the movie. Mia was perfect for Seb. They understood each other, their ambitions, their dreams.... Were supportive, compatible, passionate, kind... They didn’t have to do much to “make it work”. They knew they would love each other forever. And yet, they didn’t end up together

The last 15 minutes I could literally feel what Mia was going through. A whole life, with Seb. Probably wondering why did she ever give up on him, why they gave up on each other.... Sure I can understand the need to realize dreams, pursue passions but could they have done it together? Probably yes... But we just can’t fathom the idea that we can have it all... Somehow we have started to believe that no one can get so lucky and hence start picking and choosing our priorities

We often hear stories of couples who went off on a rocky start, but eventually found love in each other. Or others who had to fight all odds to be with their love. So when love comes easily, rather organically, as in the case of Mia and Seb, do we tend to value it less? Do we measure the depth of love on the basis of the struggle to achieve it? Or the drama we have to endure? Sure Mia and Seb were not perfect together, but were they so imperfect as to give up on each other?

Or that most of us simply don’t believe that it may be possible find our soulmate and if we are lucky we may get to spend a lifetime with them.  Even if we do, deep down we know it will not last.  And we don’t want to put ourselves through all the pain and mess that comes when a relationship dies. We are the practical generation who believes in logic more than emotions. So while we can unabashedly pursue our careers, we simply can’t  let ourselves to be vulnerable even in front of the person we love. 

And so we let people go.... And move on .... But what we forget is that memories stay, forever.... Which is why “chicken on a stick” becomes “Seb’s” in reality...


So, do I want to start believing in happy endings? Yes.
Will I believe in them? Ummm I don’t know, because Who knows?
Is this the start of something wonderful and new?
Or one more dream that I cannot make true?









Comments

Popular Posts